Asked to do INSET fifteen years ago, I received excellent feed back and now offer a menu of things related to story writing. Most schools pick and mix from the list below. References are available.
- Kick-starting creative story writing (my most popular one) – asking questions to generate ideas, dice games, hot seating, role play, developing characters, things to do with pictures, using 5 senses and music as stimulus, living sentences, wandering stories, emotion graphs, shoe box stories, emotion puddles and a load of other things
2. Speaking and listening – before writing, working collaboratively
3. Developing characters in stories – strategies how to
4. Editing – the importance of verbs and what to look for
5. Publishing – make books and other interesting formats from A4 paper
6. Boys – ideas to motivate them to write
7. Writing journals – how they work, what are they, plan by drawing, emphasis on editing and writing in short spurts. Great to develop confidence in emerging writers.
I also present INSET days for Dragonfly Training – Facing Up to Bereavement and Kinaesthetic Story Writing in an Inclusive Classroom.